The economic downturn of the last year and a half (2008-2009) has had a major impact on many people in the United States and the world. You will learn how a recession affects you and the people around you. You will also examine the role that the federal government has played in dealing with the current recession, and you will examine your thoughts about the role that the federal government should play in dealing with a recession.
You will visit various websites to learn what the effects of the recession are. You will also examine how, if it all, the recession has affected you and your family. Finally, you will examine your viewpoints about the role the federal government has played in dealing with the current recession and what role you believe the federal government should play when dealing with a recession.
As you learn about the current recession, you will visit various websites to learn about how the recession is affecting people including you and/or your family, how people can deal with the recession, and how the federal government has responded to the current recession. You will also examine your views about the role the federal government should play in dealing with a recession.
1. What is a recession? Share some of your thoughts with your classmates.
2. Then, visit the following websites:
- Luxury or Necessity
- 10 Ways the Recession is Changing Britain
- Pro Sports Not Immune to Recession
- Yankees Slash Prices to Fill Costly Seat At New Park
3. Write a three paragraph summary of the articles you have read. Share your responses and discuss what other students have written.
4. Next, write a journal entry explaining how the current recession has affected you and/or your family. Discuss your journal entry with others in the class.
5. How has the federal government tried to deal with the recession? After discussing this question in class, go to these websites:
6. Write a paragraph or two about how the federal government has responded to deal with the current recession.
7. What is your view of the federal government's role in dealing with the current recession? Has the government done a good job? What is the government trying to do with the programs it has launched? Should the government be involved in dealing with the recession? Once again, discuss these questions in class.
8. What can you do to deal with the effects of the recession on you and/or your family? View the following websites:
9. Develop a personal and/or family plan to deal with the current recession. Share your plan with the class, and join others in discussion of your pland and theirs.
You now have an understanding of how a recession affects the public, how people can cope with a recession, and what role the federal government has played in dealing with the current recession. You have examined the effect the recession has had on you and your family. You have examined your thoughts about what role the federal government should play in dealing with a recession.
There is no doubt that "The Great Recession" has caused hard times, but how does it stack up against the greatest economic recession of all time, The Great Depression? Analyze this chart: Great Depression vs. 'Great Recession' . After you have made comparisons between the numbers shown for these two economic downturns, read The Great Recession .
What are some similarities between these two major downturns? What are some differences? What made the recent recession so bad? Why did it not turn into another Great Depression? What has the United States learned from The Great Depression?
Write a one-page report answering these questions. In your report, make use of your analysis and findings from the two articles. Also, as appropriate, use what you have learned from other articles you have read for this lesson.
Write an editorial stating what role the federal government should have in dealing with a recession. Please back up your reasoning with facts, opinions, quotes, and other sources of support for your argument.