Standards for The Panic of 1893 and the Election of 1896
National Standards in Economics
Name: Role of Government and Market Failure
- Students will understand that: There is an economic role for government in a market economy whenever the benefits of a government policy outweigh its costs. Governments often provide for national defense, address environmental concerns, define and protect property rights, and attempt to make markets more competitive. Most government policies also have direct or indirect effects on people's incomes.
- Students will be able to use this knowledge to: Identify and evaluate the benefits and costs of alternative public policies, and assess who enjoys the benefits and who bears the costs.
Common Core State Standards
Standard: College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards for Reading
Area: College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards for Reading
- Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.
Standard: History/Social Studies -- Grade 11-12
Area: History/Social Studies -- Grade 11-12
- Evaluate authorsâ€™ differing points of view on the same historical event or issue by assessing the authorsâ€™ claims, reasoning, and evidence.
Standard: History/Social Studies -- Grade 9-10
Area: History/Social Studies -- Grade 9-10
- Assess the extent to which the reasoning and evidence in a text support the authorâ€™s claims.